Chapel with its green copper dome
The most well known sight in Giggleswick is the green copper dome of the chapel of the public school, which is seen by many whilst driving up the A65. The public school was founded in 1507 and was granted a Royal Charter in 1553. Two of its more recent famous alumni include Russell Harty and Richard Whiteley. In 1927 its observatory was used to observe an eclipse of the sun. The school is now a co-educational boarding and day school.
Church of St Alkelda
The village itself, overlooked by Giggleswick Scar, contains many old cottages, two of which near to the church show date stones of 1689 and 1751. The church of St Alkelda was built in the fifteenth century, and was named after Alkelda, believed to have been a Saxon saint who was strangled for her faith. Its architecture is perpendicular throughout and interesting features include: a panelled pulpit built in 1680 with signs of the twelve tribes; a communal rail built in 1676 and a poor box of 1684.
Black Horse Public House
Old Market Cross
Outside the Black Horse public house is situated the old market cross.
|Walks near Giggleswick|