Entrance to the car park at waterfalls walk
Ingleton is one of the most visited of the Dales villages, and lies alongside the A65. It has been popular with walkers since the eighteenth century, standing at the centre of three peaks country. The waterfalls walk must be one of the most popular walks in the country and the limestone landscape with its many subterranean systems attracts cavers from far and wide. The advent of the railway brought visitors from around the country, and even though trains no longer pass through Ingleton, the coming of the motor vehicle ensured a continued supply of visitors.
Ingleton lies on one of the principal East to West routes across the Pennines used from Roman times. There are also remains of an Iron Age fort that can be seen on the summit of Ingleborough, which looms large above the Ingleton skyline. Ingleton was once a very busy coal-mining village, and remains of mines can still be found around the village.
Church of St Mary
The railway though has left its mark on Ingleton, with its skyline dominated by the imposing railway viaduct that spans the River Greta. The church of St Mary that looks across to the viaduct is an eclectic mixture of parts from various ages. Whilst the font dates from around 1170 and the tower from the thirteenth century, the rest of the church was rebuilt in 1887.
Ingleton's narrow winding streets radiate from an ancient market place. Bell Horse Gate descends in steep twists down to the River Greta to the cottages once frequented by the textile workers who were in turn employed by the mills powered by the river.
White Scar Cave
Just outside Ingleton are the White Scar Caves. These show-caves offer guided tours throughout most of the year, and pass through Battlefield Cavern which is one of the longest cave chambers in Britain. Other sights include waterfalls, galleries decorated with cream and orange coloured stalactites and other curious cave formations.
View from the bridge of the River Twiss in Ingleton
Ingleton also has an open air swimming pool which is open from the beginning of the Whitsuntide week until the end of the August bank holiday weekend. The pool was dug out and built by local volunteers in 1933.
|Walks near Ingleton|